In some situations, the user may need to disable the keyboard. In Windows 10, this can be done using standard tools or programs.
Disable keyboard on Windows 10 laptop
You can turn off the equipment using built-in tools or use special software that will do everything for you.
Method 1: Kid Key Lock
Free application that allows you to disable mouse buttons, individual combinations, or the entire keyboard. Available in English.
Download Kid Key Lock from the official website
- Download and run the program.
- Find and click on the Kid Key Lock icon in the tray.
- Hover over “Locks” and click on “Lock all keys”.
- The keyboard is now locked. If you need to unlock it, just uncheck the corresponding option.
Method 2: “Local Group Policy“
This method is available in Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, Education.
- Press Win + S and in the search box enter “dispatcher”.
- Select “Device Manager”.
- Find the hardware you want in the Keyboards tab and select Properties from the menu . Difficulties with finding the desired object should not arise, since usually there is one piece of equipment, unless, of course, you connected an additional keyboard.
- Go to the “Details” tab and select “Hardware ID”.
- Right click on the ID and click “Copy”.
- Now execute Win + R and write in the search box
- Go to the path “Computer Configuration” – “Administrative Templates” – “System” – “Install devices” – “Restrictions on device installation”.
- Double click on “Prohibit the installation of devices …”.
- Enable the option and check the box next to “Also apply to …”.
- Click on the “Show …” button.
- Paste the copied value and click “OK” , and then “Apply”.
- Reboot your laptop.
- To turn everything back on, just set the value “Disable” in the parameter “Prevent installation for …”.
Method 3: “Device Manager”
Using Device Manager , you can disable or remove keyboard drivers.
- Go to “Device Manager”.
- Find the appropriate equipment and open the context menu on it. Select Disable. If this item is not there, then select “Delete”.
- Confirm the action.
- To turn the equipment back on, you will need to follow the same steps, but select the “Enable” item . If you removed the driver, then in the top menu click on “Actions” – “Update hardware configuration”.
Method 4: “Command line”
- Call the context menu on the “Start” icon and click on “Command line (administrator)”.
- Copy and paste this command:
rundll32 keyboard, disable
- Execute by pressing Enter.
- To get everything back, run the command
rundll32 keyboard, enable
With these methods, you can block the keyboard from working on a laptop with Windows 10 OS. Hope the above article is helpful. Get more tutorials like this please visit us on our official web page.