If you do not use your computer or laptop for a while, the display turns off and it feels like the machine is turned off. This alignment indicates two situations, either the screen has turned off, or the PC has plunged into sleep mode. The framework is not always satisfactory, and it is often necessary to change the time to enter sleep mode on Windows 7.
All modes are divided into 3 categories:
- Sleep mode (sleep) – a state of the PC in which there is no shutdown, but reduced power is supplied. All open objects continue to be saved in RAM, which allows you to instantly resume work.
- All contents of RAM are flushed to the hard drive, then power is turned off. It takes much longer to resume work, but the battery savings increases. This is what distinguishes hibernation from sleep.
- Hybrid mode – combines the signs of sleep and hibernation.
Ways to Open Windows Power Options
To change the sleep mode transition time in Windows 7, there is an option called “power supply”, which can be found in 4 ways:
- Click “start”, in the search enter “power supply” and select the item shown in the picture.
- Hold down the Win + R keys and copy powercfg.cpl to the “run” command window. Click OK or Enter.
- The longest path. Go to the start menu, select control panel. Make sure there are large or small icons in the view field . In the list of Windows 7 options, look for the Power Options option.
Changing the time to enter sleep mode
After choosing one of the methods, you will see a window for power consumption and sleep mode settings in Windows 7 with adjustable configurations. In the window, click the link to go to sleep, it is located on the left.
Here you will be prompted to change the setting of the installed power plan. In my case, this is an “energy saving” plan. You can always reset the settings to their defaults, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
On a laptop, you will see 2 columns:
- On battery
- From the network
Individual parameters are set for each column. On a regular PC, accordingly, there will be 1 graph.
To decrease or increase the time to enter sleep mode and turn off the display, press the button opposite the corresponding option. Set your time frame and click “save changes”.
If you never leave your PC idle for long periods of time, then choose “never”. This will disable hibernation on your Windows 7.
To set your own transition time, click on the link for changing advanced parameters.
In the window We are interested in 2 sections:
Click on “sleep”, then on “sleep after” and set your own time to the nearest minute.
Click on “screen”, then on “turn off the screen after” and also set the time period.
With such manipulations, you can change the time to enter sleep mode in Windows 7. Most of the time, sleep has practical benefits on laptops or other battery-powered devices. On a desktop computer, this option is almost useless.
Hope the above article was informative, To get latest technical updates please visit on