Owners of flash drives have situations when, having inserted their media into the computer again, its contents are no longer available. Everything looks as usual, but it seems that there is nothing at all on the drive, but you know for sure that there was some information. In this case, you should not panic, there is no reason for the loss of information yet. We will look at several ways to solve this problem. You can be 100% sure that it will disappear.
Files on the flash drive are not visible: what to do
The reasons for this problem can be very different:
- Failure of the operating system;
- Virus infection;
- Files were written with an error.
Let’s consider ways to eliminate such causes.
Reason 1: Infection with a virus
A fairly popular problem, due to which files are not visible on a flash drive, can be infected by viruses. Therefore, you only need to connect the USB stick to computers with an anti-virus program installed. Otherwise, the virus will be transmitted from the flash drive to the computer or vice versa.
The presence of antivirus is the key to success in the treatment of your flash drive if information is not displayed on it. Antivirus programs are free and paid for home use. Therefore, it is important that this program is installed.
By default, most antivirus programs automatically scan the flash drive when it is connected. But if the antivirus program is not configured, you can do it manually. To do this, follow a series of simple steps:
- Open This PC.
- Right-click on the flash drive shortcut.
- In the drop-down menu there is an item from the antivirus program that you need to execute. For example, if Kaspersky Anti-Virus is installed , then the drop-down menu will contain the item “Check for viruses” , as shown in the photo below. Click on it.
If Avast is installed , then select “Scan I: “ .
Thus, you will not only check, but also, if possible, cure your flash drive from viruses.
See also: How to convert bootable pendrive to normal, How to convert bootable pendrive to normal
Reason 2: Having errors
An issue causing information to become invisible could indicate the presence of viruses on the drive.
If, after checking for the content of hidden files, the contents are still not displayed from the flash drive, then you need to check for possible errors. There are special utilities for this, but you can use the usual method provided by Windows.
- Go to “This Computer” (or “My Computer” if you have an older version of Windows).
- Click with the mouse cursor on the shortcut of the flash drive and right-click on it.
- In the menu that appears, select the “Properties” item.
- Next, go to the “Service” tab. In the upper section “Check disk” click on the item “Check”.
- A dialog box appears in which you enable all check disk options:
- “Automatically fix system errors” ;
- Check and repair bad sectors.
Click on “Run”.
Upon completion, a message will appear stating that the device has been successfully tested. If errors were detected on the flash drive, then an additional folder with files like “file0000.chk” appears on it
Reason 3: Hidden files
If your USB drive does not show files and folders, then first of all enable the display of hidden files in the explorer properties. This is done as follows:
- Go to the “Control Panel” on your computer.
- Select the theme “Design and Personalization” .
- Next, go to the “Folder options” item “Show hidden files and folders” .
- The Folder Options window opens . Go to the “View” tab and check the box next to the item “Show hidden folders and files”.
- Click on the “Apply” button . The process does not always happen quickly, you have to wait.
- Go to your USB flash drive. If the files were hidden, then they should be displayed.
- Now you need to remove the “Hidden” attribute from them . Right click on a file or folder.
- Select “Properties” in the drop-down menu.
- In the newly appeared window of this item, in the “Attributes” section , uncheck the box next to the “Hidden” field.
Now all hidden files will become visible on any operating system.
As you can see, these simple methods will help you quickly bring your USB drive back to life.
But there are times when only formatting will help bring the flash drive back to life. Our instructions will help you to perform this procedure at a low level.
Lesson: How to convert bootable pendrive to normal, How to format pendrive using cmd
Therefore, in order to prevent the loss of your files, follow the simple rules of use:
- an anti-virus program must be installed on the computer;
- you need to properly disconnect the USB-drive through “Safely Remove Hardware”;
- try not to use a USB flash drive on different operating systems;
- back up important files periodically to other sources.
Successful functioning of your USB drive! If you have any problems, write about them in the comments. We will definitely help you.